Thursday, August 6, 2009

Switch Roles

My grandmother is always having talks to me about boys and how the guy sould approach the girl. In Brave New World it seems like the women/girls come on the the men very strong. Toward the beggining of Brave New World a girl wanted to have "erotic play" with a boy at a very young age and they thought him strange because he wouldn't play with her. Lenina basically forced herself on John and had the idea that he was the one with the issue when he didn't respond how she wanted. Although it is ture girls develope more rapidly then guys does that mean we should n't act as ladies and play the gentlemen role? Today at parties, the mall, or outings period I constantly see guys letting girls approach them. It isn't like back in the day when our parents grew up and told us how our fathers romanced our mothers and swept them off their feet. I sometimes wonder if I will end up telling me children how I met their father by wine and dinning him, taking him out, and being what I call a gentlemen. Not only that I even noticed the shift in clothing. Guys are more appealing when the wear skinny jeans and tight shirts. They went from baggy clothes to clothes skin tight.

3 comments:

  1. I had a feeling this happens a lot. Since most guys are either shy or scared of what the girls would say when guys asked them out. If you notice most guys does not know how to start a good conversation with the girl they like since nervousness kicks in. Also in some cases the girl is confident by her beauty and such that she approaches the guy with ease and he will fall in love. But in Lenina's case she did force herself on him but there are major cases that it was her choice: First she knew John liked her, second is, Lenina has taken interest on John, and third, John was a well known guy in their society. It is true, girls develop much faster than guys, but I think that in some point, the development will cease and guys would slowly catch on. Besides we are still in our teens, we are are not yet adults. But who knows what happens in the future, you may be right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree with you Kaylah. I think that it is simply a case by case basis, whether talking about our own society or the one that Huxley portrays in "Brave New World". In our own, I constantly witness or hear about how a guy thinks that a girl is cute or pretty and that he just walked up and started taking to her, and vice versa. Furthermore in "Brave New World" you do read about how Linina goes after this guy or that guy, but also how when Brenard Marx starts becoming popular, he chases girls (with a lot of success i might add). The load of romance initiation is equally shared, whether it’s teenage love, or the odd Huxleyan perversion of romance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Nick in that the advancing seems about equal in Brave New World but I definitely agree with Kaylah in that the girls are slowly taking on the role of gentleman, as it’s been defined for hundreds of years. Fifty years ago, a girl was considered forward and too sassy if she showed interest in a guy before he showed interest in her. Now it’s socially acceptable, which is great but it also seems to make guys think they can be lazy. They don’t have to woo us anymore, because we’re too busy wooing them to care. Even my boyfriend, though I love him to death, has had to learn some manners that I would have considered mandatory from my Southern upbringing, that he never learned here in California such as opening the door for a lady. Not only are common courtesies towards ladies becoming less than common, they are sometimes met with anger by a crazy feminist who finds it insulting to have a man open the door for her.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.