For two of the past three weeks, the media in which I was able to access was very limited. I had no internet, my phone would not work, my ipod almost completely drained of it's batteries, and I could not use the television because it was in my grandma's room. Before going to Vietnam, I was worried. What would I do there? A majority of my day in America is spent on the computer or watching television. The two weeks I spent in Vietnam went by fast and I realized I did not spend time twitching for media or technology (with the exception of air conditioning). In Vietnam I spent a lot of time going out, shopping, taking naps in the afternoon and eating. I felt the day was slower and more relaxed.
I am not saying people in Vietnam don't watch television or go on the internet.
Even though I could have accessed media if I really tried and looked for it, I did not feel the need to. This made me question why. I realized it is because in the community most people do not have the time for it. Most people are either working at their shops all day, or preparing their land (with crops or animals to sell). Students learn for most of the day and then help their family. Then, if they have free time, the people watch TV or go on the internet.However, for that to happen, people need to have enough money to own those things. Media/technology are not necessary, but once we are use to it, we can live without it.
How much can the community we live in affect our use of technology/media? What will be the outcome of a society without media? What are your thoughts?
Friday, August 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I went that long without media too. For the most of July, my internet did not work. I would go on every day trying to get a connection. Also my cellphone just stopped turning on. Both of those problems were solved by the time August rolled in.
ReplyDeleteWell Nicole, I personally feel that when you go somewhere new it is best if you leave your normal life at your front door. When you go somewhere new it is a time to experience new activities and get away from normality. Just think that your technology being limited to you as a good thing. I mean would you have gone out and seen many new things if your ipod's battery was not low or if your access to the internet was not as limited?
ReplyDeleteAs for your media questions I think our world not only community would go a little bananas because some people cannot live without technology and finding out what is going on in the world.
To us technology is a way of life but to many other people it is or would be considered a luxury to have.
For the whole month of July my internet did not work either just like
ReplyDeleteKristine's. I find media a privilege that I am very thankful for and
without it well....I'm just going to say in July I was not a happy
person. Without my cell phone, I don't know where to start because I
treat it as if it's my own underwear( I have to have it with me).
Our world without technology would just turn into chaos and well most
people would be clueless about the world and what events are
happening.
The only think i had from about mid june to the end of july waas my phone. It wasnt that my internet was down,it was that my computer decided that it didnt want to work anymore. after a week i was just like i give up . My parent finally got me a new computer, but i thought about it and it wasn that badd not having a working computer to be on 24/7.
ReplyDelete