Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Love


I just finished watching the "wedding singer" and that part at the end in the plane always gets to me. Ah, love. It makes you feel like you’re the luckiest guy or girl on the planet. It’s very strange. In the soothing words of The Beatles “all you need is love.” But in "Brave New World" that’s not the case. “Everyone belongs to everyone else.” They live in a world where mothers and fathers, family, and romance don’t exist, replaced with just impulse and energy. In our world, don’t they say love’s what makes the world go round? Doesn’t every one of us fall in love at some point in our lives? If love makes our world go round, then in Huxley’s, control makes the world go round. Community, identity, stability makes their world revolve. But to me I find it pretty strange. Can we really live without love? I mean, the symbol for love is a heart, something we all can’t live without. "A story without love is not worth telling." My opinion, without love, we'd be like a fish with no water. We'd be like a drug-addicted, depressed person trying to figure out what's the point in life. Oops, I think I just referred to somebody in the book. Without love, we'd be like this pig.

3 comments:

  1. Gio, I took the liberty of embedding your graphic directly into your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my favorite part of the movie! But anyways sometimes I feel like this obsession with having to find true love is a little over rated and embedded into our minds by the same thing that tells us how to live our daily life... the media. So yes we might think the people in Brave New World are cold and senile, but maybe we've become too obsessed with something that really we could live without.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Gio, that without love we are lost (fish in no water), but I also believe what Liliana said about love being embedded in our minds. I find it interesting that Gio stated "We'd be like a drug-addicted, depressed person trying to figure out what's the point in life", because in "Brave New World" they are addicted to soma and the people are conditioned to believe they are happy where they are *in society*,so they don't need to really figure out the point in life.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.