Tuesday, August 4, 2009

reading between the lines and Huxley's Ironies

While reading A Brave New World a couple of names and ideas caught my attention. So in order to truly understand all of what Huxley is trying to say I decided to do a little research. What I found was very interesting.

Two very important people of the book seem to be named after historical people. First, the Ford: I believed that he was named after Henry Ford who happened to be a communist, and a member of the Communist Party of the USA(CPUSA). I personally believe that Huxley’s Society in A Brave New World is communistic. I found this very interesting and too much of a coincidence to not have been planned. The second person was Bernard Marx. I thought his name was extremely ironic in that within this communistic society, Bernard Marx is the outcast; Bernard Marx is the culprit of unconformity, regardless that Karl Marx is hailed as the founder of communism and is the writer of The Communist Manifesto. I did not have to research his namesake to understand the ironies; I simply realized the planned coincidence after learning about my previous findings.

Finally I thought it interesting how Huxley, much like many writers, reflected some of his own ideas into his work, whether consciously or not. In researching Aldous Huxley, I found that he was a Humanist, and that he scorned religion’s lack of proof. He believed that for him to believe in such a thing as religion, it must be able to be rationally proved. Furthermore in the book the savages were described as “Indians”, or to be politically correct, Native American. I found this interesting because Huxley allowed the very common European, or American idea of Native Americans being Savages, be projected into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.