Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Guilty As Charged
As I was watching television it came the time for what many people hate; commercials. While watching a commercial after a while I felt it was just extremely long so I stopped paying attention to it and decided to begin texting. Afterwards I thought back to “Amusing Ourselves to Death” when Postman speaks about how the news has evolved to “Now … This.” Postman says, “…. you have thought long enough on the previous matter (approximately forty-five seconds), that you must not be morbidly preoccupied wit it (let us say, for ninety seconds), and that you must now give your attention to another fragment of news or a commercial.” I thought to myself how true that statement really was and how correct Postman was at predicting the evolution of entertainment. When the commercial went of I went back to paying attention to the next commercial that came on and then it just occurred to me how guilty I was of thinking exactly what Postman wrote. How many of us are guilty of doing this same exact thing?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Jordan! I do that all the time. The media has designed a world where we don't have to pay attention to commercials because they have no negative impact on us. They don't warn us of serious events or life threatening information. The network gets its viewings off the fact that we leave the leave the t.v on regardless if we actually pay attention.
ReplyDelete