Friday, August 7, 2009
A week without television
I just realized how I have not watched television for a week or maybe more. Ever since I put it away from my room, Television does not matter to me anymore. I am taking a two class, one is World Art 100. My professor assigned us a project, a collage on protest, so I decided to do it about media and its addiction to the society. Not having any idea about this it suddenly came to me that my absence of television this week had already affected me, leading me to truly believe how the media has such a huge impact in our lives. Without television I noticed that my focus on my schoolwork had greatly improved. I managed to finish my collage in a matter of hours, something I had originally thought would take me an entire day. I needed to find as many pictures and headlines (or captions) as posible to fill it in. When I was dropped early to school, I walked to the nearest newspaper stand. I picked up about three different newspapers. Soon after I walked back to school and sat down by myself, reading only the interesting columns that went with my topic about art. Apparently I found one that caught my eye. The title of this was "Image without context." On the side it had a picture of Obama as the joker and at the bottom of this image it said socialism, not knowing who the artist is, it contradicts the other painting by Shepard Fairey called, "Hope." In it, it said that "context is key," which you can make reference to what we see in the media through magazines, billboards, television etc. is the key. In simple terms what we see is what we believe. If this is true then whos really running the show. This simple example of how an iconic image of our president being distorted with a sort of "subliminal message" included in the caption, clearly telling us that the media is in control.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I went 3 weeks without television, congrats to you as well :).
ReplyDeletecongrats, I stopped watching tv for about a good month or two and just read and watched the occasional movie (on dvd). But that was only because my two favorite tv shows were off air.
ReplyDeleteLost (returns in 2010)
and Heroes (returns mid September)
and it felt great, there was nothing to keep my attention that was stupid or mindless. I read all day and did homework, I didn't feel like I missed anything.
and after about two months, I went to my friends house and she was watching TV and... she turned to Nickelodeon who annouced a Spongbob marathon.
I don't know about anyone here, but I was excited, I felt like a little kid, because I hadn't watched Spongebob in years. So anyway, I watched the marathon that lasted for 3 days. It was awsome, and I got sucked into the televsion again.
So don't go to your friends house and watch tv! haha.
Congrats!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the support! I am trying to keep my mind off of it. My family has "movie night," so it does make it harder espeacially on a huge plasma television. I've been wokring on this homework more and of course a six page research paper on schizophrenia for my psychology class at Cerritos college(it's not that easy), but I am on my third page. :)
ReplyDelete