Postman's book, is intelligently written, more so than Huxley I believe, and I keep coming across loads of passages that spark my interest that I would like to talk about on the blog. But when I try to put my words, thoughts, opinions, it comes out rather cross or paradoxical. So please forgive me.
Anyway, in on page 7, of A.O.T.D is the following passage.
"The shape of a man's body is largely irrelevant to the shape of his ideas when he is adressing a public in writing or on the radio or, for that matter, in smoke signals. But its quite relevant on television. The grossness of a three hundred pound image, even a talking one would easily overwhelm any logical or spiritual subtleties conveyed by speech. For on television, discourse is conducted largely through visual imagery, which is to say that television gives us a conversation in images, not words."
Discourse means: Talking, Conversation, etc...
So, lets imagine something silly. And hopefully this point won't come across everyone as pointless and unusal.
Imagine that it was 'Celebrites host the news day' (note: you can choose your neighbor or someone you know). And the topic chosen to talk about was going Green. So choose two Celebs, but make it so they aren't both equally attractive. For my example I will use Megan Fox and John Goodman. So if you've got your Celeb's lets continue. So each Celeb is trying to endorse a product while trying to convince you to go green.
Lets start off with your 1st Celeb pick, who is flawless, presentable and socially acceptable (by socitey standards). Imagine them saying the following.
Megan Fox: I use my refillable coffee thermal from Starbucks, its a great way for saving trees that the cups are made from. Seriously people global warming is becoming a serious problem in this nations capital due to smog, and other green house gas components.
-Now lets start scene 2 with your less attractive Celeb-
John Goodman: Refillable coffee thermals is one of the many ways to start going green, but more effective ways would be limiting the use of water by; shorting showers, leaving on running water. Also the use of Hybrid Cars vs. Gas Cars. There are approximately 184 million people living in Los Angeles, the use of hybrid cars would make a drastic change in the airs pollution...
{End Scene}
Okay, my prediction(if something crazy like that ever happend) would be that, even though John Goodman gave facts and more sollutions and intelligent conversation than Megan Fox (who is more appealing) that whatever Megan Fox's thermal looked like people would be buying them across the nation, sales would go up. While sales in Hybrids did not.
But my point with all this is, the saying "Sex sales" is the most true, not Sex in the litteral term, but attractiveness and appeal does matter. I mean look at all the beer commericals or the famous Axe commericals? It saddens me, I wish there was something we could do about it. Don't you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.