"Although the constitution makes no mention of it, it would appear that fat people are now effectively excluded from running for high political office. Probably bald people as well. Almost certainly those whose looks are not significantly enhanced by the cosmetician's art. Indeed, we may have reached the point where cosmetics has replaced ideology as the field of expertise over which a politician must have competent control" - Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death, Page 4, Chapter 1.
I come to find, "cosmetics has replaced ideolody." a powerful statement. I agree...yet I dare to disagree with this. My agreement sides with the fact on most channels(I use the word 'Most' loosely) you will find 'pretty' people; ie; Nancy Grace, Jillian Barbarie, Dorothy Lucey, Kelly Ripa, Harvey Levin, Diane Sawyer, and just about everyone on The View. Why do looks and ratings go hand-in-hand? I thought to myself while reading and I wondered, would I look at a news station that didn't have any pretty people on it? When watching the news or any important broadcast, do I even care with Michelle Obama is wearing or if Bjork showed up to another event wearing the head of a swan? And I found out the answer is No, I wouldn't care. But I found myself faulty with was the source of news. So I reasked myself, would I rather listen to a story about a serial mugger in my area, or listen to a story about the new Twilight movie?
And my answer was of course entertainment. I would skip over such sad and boring details of a mugger in my area(knock on wood) and I would gladly watch Robert Pattinson prattle about his new movie. That's a sort of Soma isn't it?
I digress, however, there are big politcal people that aren't that attractive.
Rush Limbaugh , Dick Cheney, John McCain and Larry King, I mean really?! How old is that guy?
So in closing, I don't really believe that statement is really all true, but what would you guys think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Rush Limbaugh is not an elected official; Dick Cheney was a running mate, a powerful behind-the-scenes guy, but certainly not the face of that administration; Larry King is not an elected official. And John McCain lost the election, at least in part, because he is perceived to be an old geezer.
ReplyDeleteI think if they have a good personality and is able to entertain the audience it cancels out looks. But looks help, no doubt about it. I was watching a youtube video on crocheting and the womens nail were heinous and I couldnt bare to watch anymore. Shallow? But everyone does it even without knowing, its a reflex. If youre watching someone its both hard to grab the real information if they are not presentable or disheveled.
ReplyDeleteRandom tidbit: Everyone should follow dictionary.com on twitter.
I know what your saying, but I interpretted what Postman said a little different. It's like they don't exactly have to be the most goodlooking person, but they have to fit the profile of what they're portraying.
ReplyDelete