Monday, August 10, 2009

Individual Mediums

Yesterday, I was flipping through channels and stumbled on a very interesting show on KLCS about graffiti. I was astonished with how and why graffiti artist tag; even though it is against the law they boldly go out and share their art with whomever is willing to appreciate it. I found out that they tag because it's the only way they know how to express themselves and that it is the doctrine of any other art. As the artists were being interviewed, one said, "This is our medium,". I immediately thought of Amusing Ourselves to Death. Postman believes that America's metaphor of national character should be Las Vegas because its main purpose is entertainment. And, according to Postman, since "The Medium Is the Metaphor", is America's medium truly entertainment? Unfortunately it is, but at the same time, it is not. As a majority, yes, Americans accept entertainment as the perfect medium. But others create their own medium. Can individual mediums still survive in a place where a dominant medium is already widely established? I believe they can. As long as a strong passion for any medium is there, it can prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.