Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Entertainment Taking Over
The technology has officially taken over MY life. I am surrounded by technologic devices, a television in each room, a radio in the bathroom, living room, and bedroom, and internet in the living room, and on my phone. My house is filled with devices, EVERYWHERE. As I try to focus on one thing there is always something to make me get sidetracked. The internet and these devices were created not much for the entertainment of people but for daily uses. Websites like Myspace, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter etc. exist for entertainment but get addicting. For example, as I am trying to write this blog, I checked my Myspace tab about three times. When I go on the computer to do any type of work, I end up on a completely different website wasting my time. It is amazing how many hours I can spend looking at pictures on websites that contain very little words or that only contain words to let me know what other people are doing. Technology has also taken over the whole "meeting" or "talking" to people nowadays. Conversing with someone over the computer or meeting somebody through the internet is considered the new "meeting" and "talking"; unlike the old fashioned ways when it was face to face. Everything is basically given to us making everything easier, making communication faster. The change would be more bold if I were to have been born when none of these facilitating and distracting instruments were available.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree completely with you, Ashley. Throughout the school year when I am assigned something which requires the use of the computer, I always end up wasting time on things such as Myspace. While the computer and the internet are admittedly useful for schoolwork, they are also a distraction that keep us from accomplishing that same schoolwork.
ReplyDeleteIt is also true that conversation has dramatically changed. As before, people would communicate in person, face to face, many people now communicate via internet or telephone. This can be seen as a negative thing because it really loses a sense of connection that is received when conversing face to face.
Mario Ayala
Technology is something that I need for my future, so I don't have a choice but to let it take over me. I can't stay focused on mostly anything without it. These new things that companies come up with really gets attention. They're a distracting resource that we can't live without.
ReplyDeleteIt's because of technology that discussion has changed. In a way, when it comes to technology, face to face conversations don't exist. Eventually, it's going to become a negative influence, besides it being this way because of the loss of sense of its connection, like what
Mario says.
I think that Nikolas is spot on when he says that technology is something that is needed for our future. Yes, the technology that surrounds us is distracting and shortens our attention span, but all of these distractions are what is apart of all of our futures. It is not going to go away so we might as well deal with the unwanted distractions. We can only do so much to avoid it such as deleting MySpaces and Facebooks, and not texting, and meeting face to face when possible, etc. If we give up on the distracting technology then we will be lost all together in society because a technologically filled world is basically the direction we are headed in.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYou couldn't be more right. The introduction of "Amusing Ourselves to Death" stated that media has caused new communities to be born, while others start to become extinct. It's sad that people don't talk face to face as much as they used to. There's something about conversations that cannot be found anywhere else. For example, I think it's ridiculous that two friends sitting at home with nothing to do decide to text, myspace, or IM each other instead of going out and talking. The experience that those people can get out going out is definitely going to be richer and more enjoyable than sitting around waiting for a text message.
ReplyDeleteTechnology has in fact taken over, however I believe it's not too late. People should learn to view and use technology as a tool, and as any other tool, it should only be used when necessary. Those two friends I set as an example are only using the technology they're given for the sake of using it. My grandfather used to say that the phone is for communicating, not conversing. It's hard to stop the addiction of technology, but not impossible.
Technology is THE future I agree. Everybody needs it but like the point that Postman tries to bring out is that without these entertaining websites and devices life would be "boring". We are so used to having fun and wind up being bored if none of this existed. I could not imagine living in the old days when there was no television ; like in chapter four when Postman explains that people would "cheerfully accommodate themselves to seven hours of oratory"(44). But that's just me.
ReplyDeleteSo many comments and all of them are right. Without technology, life would be hard to function. Technology has made things easy in life, like talking to somebody halfway around the world. Better amusing ourselves to death then dying from boredom.
ReplyDeleteI know right!? our generation is so adapt to technology that it seems like the only way of communication. One week without my phone is like death. But it has it's useful purpose to like how my computers down, i can blog on my phone. :)
ReplyDelete