We have all watched at least one sitcom. These shows are suppose to show the real lives of people in a funny way. I thought of the following fact after absorbing the last sentence in Postman's book.
In sitcoms, there is a background audience. This audience is most commonly known as the "Laugh Track." When the television program (in this case a sitcom) cracks a joke, the "audience" laughs. When two people unexpectedly kiss, the "audience" makes a sort of wooing sound. These sound effects are used to attract people into watching the television immediately. However, when the characters do something funny, half the time I personally do not notice it as a joke until the "Laugh Track" kicks in. Once the "Laugh Track" starts, I consider what the characters did/said as a joke, and I somewhat laugh.
With the given information, is this an example of a Huxleyan or Orwellian culture? In a Huxleyan culture, people are laughing without knowing what is being laughed at. In an Orwellian culture, people are being forced to laugh or at least being forced a joke upon them.
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I would say that it is an Orwellian culture. I can't help but think when the laugh track is played, whether or not there are actually people there, or if this is just to get you into the mood. Even when you watch movies, they show someone from the camera crew on the set of the sitcom in front of the audience holding up a sign that will say things like "applaud".
ReplyDeleteWhat I'm saying is, its not necesarily laughing although you don't know what you're laughing at, its more following order of the society or situation you are taking part in.
I hope that makes sense.