As I begin to read “A Brave New World” I find the social differences between Huxley’s society and are own very interesting. The society Huxley presents is hailed as utopian, but I disagree for several reasons. Huxley replaces individualism with the goals of society as a whole. But isn’t individualism what makes us human? Furthermore, the powers that be in this society use shock treatment on babies to insure, in the words of the Director, that “they’ll be safe from books and botany all their lives.” Safe?! They seem to be doing more harm than good by taking the characteristic innocent happiness away from babies and small children.
One thing that I did find as an improvement is the embrace of sexual activities rather than how our society shuns them. Sex and sexual activities are normal parts of life. All of us will or already have participated in such activities and such an embrace is almost refreshing.
Sunday, July 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Another aspect of life in the Huxleyan future is the fact that the citizens basically block themselves from reality. Some would say that this should not be part of a perfect society. But if the people are not aware of what is being kept from them then wouldn't be a perfect society? Its like when your being lied to it doesn't anger you until you become aware of the fact.
ReplyDeleteI disagree with the comment about sexual embrace. Although they were teaching the children to be involed in sexual activity at early ages, even homosexual activity, they still looked down upon natural birth. They categorized the kids by colors, and put them into a caste system based on how they were born. Basically, the children were being taught to engage in sexual behavior for pleasure, not for reproduction, something that I would think should be looked down upon in our own society.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteUtopia means an ideally perfect place, especially in its social, political, and moral aspects. In the book they think that their society is perfect and righteous. Whether they shock, train, and caste them, they still believed what is right and perfect, thus they can call it a utopia. Besides, the society has been maintained for hundreds of years by doing the activities. If you check the bright side there are almost no crimes and the place is clean and well organized. But don't get me wrong, I don't approve their society at all. Since one of their Utopian aspects are about manipulation of one's identity, thoughts and feelings.
ReplyDeleteWhile reading Brave New World, I thought it was a pretty horrible society myself. I was espically disgusted by the repeated mention of sexual activity at young ages. However, I forced myself to look at it from a different view. I realized that technically, Brave New World does present a utopian society; it fits the dictionary definition. I realized that I just did not like it because it was not like the world that we live in today, it was different.
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree with Matt. Their definition of an utopian does fit the dictionary definition. I don't really like changes so if our world suddenly became like theirs, I would definitely not enjoy it. Well, now that I think about it, the change would occur slowly so people probably wouldn't notice the change at all. All of the sexual activity for the young children, I can't even imagine that aspect of the utopia. But, everyone has their own definition of perfect so even though it's different to us and wrong to some of us doesn't mean it is wrong or different to them.
ReplyDelete