Sunday, July 26, 2009

News Broadcasts

On page 68 of Amusing Ourselves to Death, Postman talks about how relevant the news can be. He states, "How often does it occur that information provides you on morning radio or television, or in the morning newspaper, causes you to alter your plans for the day?" I agree with this quote. The news reports the weather so we can dress accordingly, but other than that how much of the news really affects us personally? You may hear facts about Michael Jackson's death or Sarah Palin resigning or a storm in the Mideast, but does that make you change your plans for the day? Probably not. The news tells the public little facts from around the world that makes us seem more aware, but do we really know what is going on? How often do you sit down and watch the whole news broadcast? I usually sit to watch the first five minutes of the broadcast to see the weather and any breaking news. The interesting stories are always in the beginning of the show to catch the eye of the viewers. The broadcasters would not put the assassination of a president or a terrorist attack at the end of the show.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment is very true. When school is in and my mom makes breakfast in the mornings we sit and watch the news. If the weather comes on and says it is going to rain I might go to my room and change what I had already chosen to wear for the day or if there is a car accident on the freeway we might take an alternate route to get to school on time. I do not think much of the news really affects peoples days based upon their views and what they feel may be important or relevant to them. While one who read that Michael Jackson died may not care and continue their day another could break down and cry and need to go home. While one person who reads that Sarah Palin is resigning might continue their day as though nothing happened another may drop everything their doing and protest. Different things matter to different people and can also affect them in many different ways. It is true that broadcasters put things that would catch a viewers attention first rather than last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes that is so totally true! And if you want to watch something that's in the middle of the broadcast, you basically have to watch the whole thing! I watch the news pretty much only for the weather report too. I will listen to the top news stories and change my day depending on what is reported. For example if there is a breakout of a disease I may alter my behavior for the next few days. And of course to get the lastest updates on the Lakers! Woot woot! Go Lakers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is all true. The majority of the things on the news does not affect us. When I watch the news it is mostly for the weather, or to see if there is any crime going on around in my neighborhood. That is probably the only information on the news that would affect me. Hearing about celebrities or anything else about what is going on around the world do not change my plans for the day.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.