Wednesday, July 15, 2009
"TV Turnoff"
In Chapter 11 of Amusing Ourselves to Death, Postman wrote about the Library Council of Farmington, Connecticut’s plans to engage in a “TV Turnoff” and attention that city received from the media for participating. While reading this, I remembered that my elementary school also participated in something similar to this, but it was only a week long rather than a month. Every night, the school would hold small after school activities, such as magic shows, as an alternative to watching television. I, myself, never participated in any activities because I couldn’t take my eyes off the television. Though our school did not get any attention or a slot in the 8 o’clock news (though we wouldn’t have watched seeing as how our TVs were off), we continued to participate. I believe the school has stopped participating in the program, but they still hold the after school activities, even while the televisions are still on. Most nights have proven to be unsuccessful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.