Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bernard Marx

I have just gotten to to part of Brave New World in which Bernard Marx's flaws are presented. I thought it interesting that even within castes, not everyone was equal. Bernard is severely looked down upon by women and men played practical jokes on him. This extends even to his job, in which he is unsure of being able to take charge of those of a lower class than he. These flaws that he has (small stature and thin) cause him to act, what we would believe as normal. He is tentative with women and refuses the use of soma. Even more interesting to me though, is that despite his flaws, despite the endless "perfect" men, and despite the pressure from friends, Lenina is very interested in him and even agrees to go with him on what seems like a date. She is capable of seeing through all of this to see the person underneath, which is an idea from our own culture, that seems to have slipped into theirs

4 comments:

  1. I think this situation is like "Don't judge a book by its cover." As normal humans, we are quick to judge based on appearance alone.
    Say Bernard Marx was a teacher at our school, many students would not take him seriously due to his small body. But say Shaq was a teacher at our school, many would be afraid and show respect to him because of his sky scraping size. Although it's not something we want to hear, appearance has a lot to do with how others will treat you. But as you said, Lenina saw past it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it depends who you ask, I believe Bernard has a clearer perspective of the utopia's flaws, sure his appearance isn't alpha material but, other than that it is normal for at least one person to think of the utopia as corrupt. He see's Lenina treats herself as a possession. He sees everyone drowning themselves in soma to remove any feeling except happiness. What I also found interesting about him was in chapter 5 they were rejoicing from the footsteps of Ford but he didn't hear footsteps. That situation reminds me of Christianity (or any other religion) because, if you don't believe in God or Jesus 70% percent of the world would consider you an alien or give strange looks. I also wondered if it was only Bernard who didn't hear the steps of Ford if their faith of Ford was just contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bernard Marx is the outcast of the Utopian society. He dares to question the lifestyle and way people function. He is the typical character of a small guy with big ideas. I think the reason that Lenina finds him appealing is because he is different. Girls are into guys that are different, right? Lenina is interested in him, and she is overflowed with soma, so all she wants is to have sex, which is common in their society. I don't think she is capable of seeing, the person underneath. I think she is just lustful and will do it with anybody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think part of the reason Bernard tries to make himself more of an outcast is because of his small stature. He knows that people talk about him behind his back, so he is surly and refuses to take soma to make them feel uncomfortable. In turn, they want nothing whatsoever to do with him. It's a vicious cycle. However, when he gets even a little attention, the society he's hated for so long becomes quite nice. As he's being shipped off to an island, he goes down on his knees to beg to be allowed to remain in London. Bernard seems to be very fickle and to just go along with whatever suits him best at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.