Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Try This!
I experimented with the "e-media fast", to refrain from using electronic media. I challenged myself to abstinence of technology for two days, and I have to admit it was tough. It both killed me and saved me. I recently broke my iPod, my favorite electronic device, so yesterday was a perfect day to stay away from all electronic devices. It was more challenging than I imagined because houses are filled with technological gadgets just waiting to be used. The television stared at me, the computer is waited to be used, and the phone rang endlessly. I have to isolate myself and stay outside so I won't go crazy. My sister taunts me by listening to her iPod and talking on the phone. It was not a joke, I seriously had trouble with this challenge. As it stated in the Introduction of Amusing Ourselves To Death, this experiment made time to spend time with my family and friends. I had time for personal conversations with loved ones, learned more about different people, built stronger relationships, and had fun without technology. I have to admit it was a good experience, and I will spend more time away from electronics, and close to family and friends. Whether it is a good or bad experience, I challenge you students to try this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'am greatly impressed for you doing this. I need some type electronic with me all the time. I absolutely want to try this before the summer ends. I have thought about it a few days ago. It's hard for me to do, because I have so much things to do and not having a phone would be impossible for me to finish things I need to do through out the day. Besides being with your family and friends what other activities would you do? I haven't been on the internet lately, because I currently don't have internet anymore, so it hard for me to been in this blog. Yet, it could be easier for me to do this experience for once and get it over with it, right?
ReplyDeleteI have also been thinking about going on this technology strike, but I recently got Dish Network with DVR and I just can't stop watching it, unless I go out with my family somewhere or if I have any other obligations that need to be accomplished for the day. I believe that the best thing to do is to just schedule a day dedicated to the strike, that way one will be focused only on the strike. Like Dulce stated, it is going to be hard looking at, literally, everyone using some form of technology. My sisters would probably try to torcher me with t.v. and their electronic devices, but I would have to be strong and handle the pain. Temptations will make this event close to unbearable, but I believe that one will get closer to family and actually have lots of fun when it is all over similarly to what Francisco said. I admit that I am scared to do this, but I WILL!!!
ReplyDeleteI think what Francisco has done is a great thing. Everyone needs some time away from electronics/technology. One doesn't realize how much more time they actually have without wasting it on electronics/technology. Everyone will most likely think it is not that bad at first, but as the day goes on one will struggle to continue abstinence from electronics/technology. Francisco used his time very wisely and spent it with family. Even though i state that this abstinence is a good thing, i have not yet tried it! I just have so many electronics that i use everyday. I want to try it, but i dont know if i could do it. I guess i'll find out.
ReplyDeleteFrancisco said, "I had time for personal conversations with loved ones, learned more about different people, built stronger relationships, and had fun without technology." If Francisco could do this in two days, imagine what could be done in a week!
ReplyDeletei was in new york and in some places my phone didn't work. i was dying and it was only a few hours a day. what you did is amazing. you get so used to having all your electronics around and when you go without them you feel lost. even though it is a hard thing to do, it still helps by making you appreciate other things you can do without technology like going for a bike ride or reading a book. i am sure going to try doing this for more than a couple of hours.
ReplyDelete