skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Pointless Learning?
Shows such as Sesame Street, show learning as something fun, easy, and entertaining. But in truth, learning is not meant to be fun or easy. If it were, there would be absolutely no point in going to school. It would just be considered as a social gathering for a couple hours out of the day. Education is a challenge and is not meant to be taken lightly. Those who see it has easy, have proven be unsuccessful, and there for unable to meet that challenge.
I say this because during my freshman year at Mayfair, I didn’t feel the need to even try. I found myself in danger of failing half of my classes, including English. It didn’t really hit me until the second semester that this was my future that I was screwing up. I did the best that I could to make a drastic turnaround, but I ended the year with a 3.14.
You were not screwing your future up. It was your choice and all choices have consequences. I myself wish I tried harder in school but mistakes happen. People seem to think that one bad grade in your History class will totally f&$# up your future. News flash! It won't! No college is going to read your report card and say "Hey. This person got a D- on her History test on the subject of French Revolution. DENIED!"
ReplyDeleteYour future will not be killed with one bad grade. But it could be jepordized with a lifetime of mistakes like smoking and drug habits.
So many people have it way worse than you. Don't blow your failure out of proportion.
I disagree with this post. Sesame Street and other kid educational shows are preparing children for life. They teach them fundamental ideas and concepts like colors and shapes. I feel they can help children become great students. The reason they make it seem easy is because hello there are only two to four year olds mostly watching these TV shows with their parents. They can even teach the children ways to remember these ideas for when they learn them in school. They want to make it easy to remember while it can also be enjoyable to watch.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Jessica because she has a point. Shows like Sesame Street, Dora the Explorer, Between the Lions, and Bob the Builder, Clifford, Dragon Tales, Reading Rainbow all have different developmental levels in which young children can learn, from interact and explore with their world. Music plays an important role in young children’s shows because it is proven people (young or old) learn when what their learning is to music. Watching these shows will improve children’s minds and will give them a jump start in the classroom. I believe young children can only gain new knowledge, not lose it. Also children learn life lessons too. Lessons such as: sharing, importance of following the rules, creativity, moral lessons, self-confidence, importance of family and friends; along with lessons of academics and foreign languages.
ReplyDeleteThis can be taken in many ways. I agree with eofoegbu because school is hard, but in reality it is supposed to be because it prepares us for our future. Sure many people learn through hands on training rather than text books. But their are schools for that also. If schooling was supposed to be easy and care free the government would not be spending millions to help the student of all the schools in the nation to get better scores. All in all school is there to help you its like a roller coaster it has its ups and downs and you get to choose what to do with it.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Osama. School is hard at times because the teachers try to prepare students for college. Learning might seem boring to people because most of their classes are not really fun or are subjects that they don't like very much. Pretty much the only way to teach someone something is either to show them or to have long explanations in a classroom. Since most kids are used to getting lectured a lot, that's probably why some people think learning is serious business. This is why a lot of teachers try to make learning fun so they could get their students more involved and more interested.
ReplyDelete