SCIENCE
Could science be the most dangerous enemy of all? In Brave New World, there are people that question this. I mean for as much as it has helped our society it could be damaging us more. I do not necessarily agree with this fact because with all the ways science has tried to help people. From those with amputated body parts to those with cancers and other diseases. Scientist have tried to help all those needs in the medical field from new body parts to new types of medicine. Without science most medical mysteries could never be tested because people would be afraid to experiment their theroies.
I can also see why people would consider it a danger though; sometimes we do use science for bad. We have used it to create products like steroids which can destroy parts of body. Think about it most sports have ban these types of products from their sport because the head people of the sport do not want to see their athlete's hurt because they could not stop themselves.
So when we ask ourselves has science really been helping us or has it been pursuing us to do bad actions?
Thursday, July 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well Jessica, I deffinitely agree that science can be used for bad, but after thinking about it, I think you could change virtually anything into something bad or evil if you use it for the wrong reasons. For example, all kinds of transportation like cars and the kinds of sit down jobs that most people have are usually harmless, and can be of tremendous help, but they can also contribute to the rising number of people with obesity and diabeties. What my point is, is that anything can be used for both good and bad-but we have to be able to CHOOSE to use technology and science in a positive way that will not hurt us or be against any moral ideals. We have the free will to use science to help each other or hurt each other and it is our job to choose to use this technology in a good way.
ReplyDeleteScience is what was created to try to figure out what the answer to everything was (don't cite me on this > >). This truth-finding, while not necessarily a bad thing, can lead to bad results. Steroids probably weren't created to harm people, it was just a side effect because we don't know every single thing there is to know about the world.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Christina's post, I don't think it's possible to ever use technology and science in such a pure form, there's always a con to every pro. I also believe that science is changing what we accept as morally correct. For example, although they are both hot topics, stem cell research and abortion are two things that will probably we accepted in a few years.
I understand where you are all coming from, but I disagree. I feel that science in itself is a good thing and for the most part there are good intentions. Steroids may have terrible sid effects, but it was intended to help you enhance performance. Many medicines that we use have side effects, and cause you to become dependent. That doesn't make science a bad thing.
ReplyDeleteThere are instances of people using them for the greater evil(i.e.the Holocaust), and as sick as it is, we actually got some of our vaccines from the experiments these doctors performed on these people.
I agree that science has very serious downfalls, but that it is impossible to make major leaps of improvement without a few setbacks.
ReplyDeleteFor example, some people are die-hard animal activists and disagree completly with any animal testing. However, look at all the medications we can now use to treat human diseases and all the other products that are now avaliable: behind every big discovery is someone else's failure.
I totally agree with you Jessica, but science is a bitter-sweet concept. Bitter because it is sometimes used in harmful ways to humans and animals just so we could live longer. In the sweet connotation we live longer. It depends on how we use science that makes it bad or good because there are always consequences attched to scientific discoveries and scientific inventions benefitial to our world and us as humans. As steriods go, yes they do harmful things to the body, but they also contribute to medical field.
ReplyDeleteScience once again is a bitter-sweet concept.