Sunday, July 12, 2009

Credible TV

I find TV to be very uniform. Once you have worked with it and you watched it almost every day, you become very aware with their styles and habits. Over time it seems everything that is shown in that little box is trying to sell you something or trying to get you to follow their ideas. It's mind flattering how munipulative those devices can be. You would see a comercial and say wow, I really want that! Of course you don't need it but, it looks so breath taking as you view it in your living room you just have to have it.

I decided to write about this subject because I saw the movie "Man of the Year" last night. Lewis Black's character was an advisor to the president and he was his "right hand man". In one scene he announced his departure from the President-elect and he was asked if he would return to TV; he said, "Oh no, I have a love hate relationship with TV, Once you work with it for so long everything seems credible, and if everything seems credible then nothing seems credible. Here on one side you could have a certifiable lunatic that says the Holocuast never happened, and here on the other side you have a man who knows everything about the Holocuast. and there they sit! Like equals!"

TV changes the way we percieve things. I wonder if the fasination that we have with it, blinds us of what were trying to understand or is it we dont listen at all? We sit there like mindless drones just to watch it but not to grasp their concept. Next time you watch, which will be soon, pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.