Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Does Maturity Lead to Good?

In Brave New World, Mr. Foster refers to the years as an immature child as, "Long years of superfluous and wasted immaturity" (15). With this he seems to hint that only good can come from a matured person. However, I believe this is not true at all. For example, look at Hitler or Stalin, both were full grown men, but did they do much good for the people they ruled? Both these men caused the deaths of millions of people, and as I read chapter 3 I noticed that Bernard Marx who was a matured member of the upper-caste of his society also had urges to kill or hurt Mr. Foster or the D.H.C. I think that given the opportunity he would cause them bodily harm, which leads me to disagree with Mr. Foster's idea of a completely mature society to be a problem free or perfect society.

3 comments:

  1. I have to agree with Brandon...
    You could be mature in body, but not in mind. For instance, take the voting elections. There are plenty of voters that may appear mature, but most just going along with the crowd and don't think for themselves. They are not mature in mind because they vote for, let's say, a president only looking at his backround, race, or aesthetic appearance. Electing someone without a mature reason could cause a society to fall, not edify it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Brandon and Kaela. Just look at the United States of America to see how corrupt our so-called "mature" adults are. There was the scandal with Blagojevich, the Bernie Madoff scandal, the Governer of New York's call girl, etc. What is this nation coming to if our leaders act like toddlers? Besides the political leaders, we also have to deal with the immaturity of American celebrities. There are too many celebrities and incidents of stupidity to name. Sometimes, it seems that the only ones who can save us is the children. I say let the Child Geniuses take over for the Childish Adults and we'll see how our future turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to agree with Brandon on the fact that not all good things come to those who are mature. However I reread the part that is being explained here and I interpreted the section differently. I see it as Mr. Foster is explaining to the students that its unfortunate that the humans they are creating mature in mind at an early age, but must wait another few years in order for their body to mature. So Mr. Foster is upset because those years of no work to him are wasted.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.