Everyone is glued to this world's technology and all the "must haves" the media claims have to be in our pockets if we stand a chance of being "in."
Like in Amusing Ourselves to Death explains,our world is constantly chasing its tail: as soon as you purchase the newest gadget, the next newest one appears on the market, making everyone feeling low again and buying yet another ipod, phone, etc.
I myself am a texter in class and have paid the price. If I stopped answering text both me and the person I was in conversation with may have gotten the lecture better and received better grades in that class.
All these gadgets just act like a crutch to us. For example my mom cannot go anywhere anymore without her GPS system instructing her with "Turn by Turn" directions. We no longer appreciate anything around us because we are too busy listening to basting music on our ipods or our eyes are glued to our phones and game systems.
I wish one could get away but sometimes it feels are world is too deep to escape.
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What you say is true. Electronics have officially become a necessity for everyday life, and it is sad that we seem to take them for granted. People are coming up with new models of old electronics every year and everyone is drawn to them. You see elementary students these days with the latest cell phone version (honestly, how many people do you need to call when you're in elementary school?). The things people buy these days are so superfluous; if the media hadn't presented it, no one would even think about buying it. No one actually NEEDS these things. I think people are creating more technology than they can handle.
ReplyDeleteI agree. By creating more technology than we need or can handle, we're making ourselves addicted to it. An article in Teen Vogue a few months ago talked about a girl whose iPod died and she felt symptoms of withdrawal and loss. The article was about how today's generation is so addicted to technology and has a constant attachment to some form of technology and communication. She said those signs shocked her because she had only lost an iPod but felt like she said lost someone. She cancelled her entire day's plans to take it to the Apple Store. With the growing addiction to technology and the increase in its advancement, people have grown attached to them so much that it appears necessary to have cell phones, iPods, blackberries, and lab tops at a much younger age.
ReplyDeleteWhen people are relying on technology for the simplest of needs it is ridiculous. I love some of my technology but to the point where if it died and I cancelled my whole day seems to be a little extreme. I think some days we do take advantage of our technology, become lazy and use it for everything but as the newer and better systems come out the more we feel the need to have it, if they were to create a device that could do everything for a person everyone would be buying it like fresh bread. There are even new types of cell phones that have all these new applications I did not know a phone could have like a hole distance locator for golf (how many other people actually need that?), Rockband, Facebook and so much more. I am very curious what will be in store for our grandchildren. Could they finally make the cell phone or the single electronic that can do everything for you?
ReplyDeleteHonestly I don't mind relying on technology for "easier living" I think Postman boxes out the brighter sides of today's electronics. He constantly uses examples of our historical figures (I recognized from sophmore history), the most of us can admit that the knowledge we have of these people comes from beyond our history book. How many of us can honestly say we'd rather not use the internet as a source of information? When ever you guys decide to go on your technology fast maybe try it writing an essay, use nothing but print and see if your information is as widely spread as the internet.
ReplyDeleteKW, Postman says there are enough cheerleaders for technology, so he consciously focuses on the other side..."technology giveth/technology taketh away."
ReplyDelete